Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Color...Here We Come!

 
The sheet rock crew has been moving fast. So fast, in fact, that we went into emergency "pick wall color" mode today. Hopefully, tomorrow the sheet rock crew will be finished and the painters will start painting the walls on Friday. I had a general idea about what I wanted for most of the walls. But picking the exact color and saying "buy the paint" is a different story.
 
This afternoon, the kids and I went over to Maribeth's house with all the paint chips I had collected this weekend from Lowe's. She is really good about helping to narrow things down into manageable two or three choices. The main color we selected is a National Trust for Historic Preservation color called Churchill Hotel Ecru. This will be in all the rooms for now except our dining room and Caroline's room.  The dining room is called Heirloom Red (thankfully not Heirloom Crimson). This will be my third red dining room. Caroline's bedroom color is Pink Taffy. It will be her third bedroom that will be painted this exact color.  I guess we find a color we like and stick with it.  Definitely makes it easier when picking colors.  I'm sure as I buy bedroom fabrics I may want to change some colors at some point, but we think our main color will be a good neutral choice for all the main areas.
 
I kind of like to choose colors the same way I pick race horses--- by their name.  I definitely am happy with our wall color choices and their names. I love anything to do with England, so I would of course love the name Churchill, and Heirloom Red sounds like a traditional color in an antique dining room. And Pink Taffy is very much like Caroline- sweet, but somewhat demanding.  I've already written about the color of our roofing shingles- Oxford Grey (an English reference again) and the name of our brick is called Old Fort Augusta. As much as Brian loves golf, having golf's premier city in the name of our brick was perfect.
 
Here is the living room with some of the sheet rock mud applied. I can't wait to see the built-ins on either side of the fireplace.
 

Below is a view of the kitchen from the living room..


The front porch has all of its bricks. Now it just needs, a floor, lighting, posts and of course, a swing or rocking chairs!



The back view of the house with the trim work added to the screened porch.


Brian, John Thomas and the gymnast, Caroline enjoying the first of many afternoons on the back porch.


No comments:

Post a Comment