Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Fridges, Fans, Faucets and Floors (and a Door)

For the last week, there hasn't been much going on at the lot. But behind the scenes, we've been busy making decisions.

After meeting with the cabinet maker last week, we had to select appliances so that the cabinets can be built around the appliance measurements. Picking out appliances was probably the easiest of choices that have been made. I went to a local appliance store (Rix's), where I met with the owner. He was able to show me  the best things I could get for the my budget.  For some reason, refrigerators are not usually included in house sales. So it was up to us to pick out and actually pay upfront for a fridge. Fridges are not cheap, even when you are just buying a middle of the road model. When I told Brian that we had to order and buy a fridge and what it would cost, he was somewhat shocked.  At first, I didn't understand why he was so shocked. And then I realized- he has never had to buy any appliances.  When he married me, I came with a refrigerator and washer and dryer! A pretty good dowry in this day and age.

Early one rainy morning this week (or at least, early for us non-working, non-schooling people), Maribeth called and said she had found a front door on clearance that was very similar to one we were looking at buying. It was about half the price we had planned for, so I yelled at the children to hop out of bed and promised them ice cream if we could be out the door in five minutes. So with children with bed head hair and unbrushed teeth, we met Maribeth and Craig at Home Depot. For probably close to two hours, we debated about the merits of this door versus all the other doors we had been looking to buy. We had the Home Depot workers take the door down on a forklift so that we could inspect it for any damage. It had been special ordered and had not been picked up. So we were able to get it for about 75% off the original price.

Later that day, the kids and I headed to a junk store in Opelika that is owned by a man named Roland. I have been buying stuff from him for around 15 years. He used to work at the Opelika Salvation Army thrift store that was on my junk store rounds. I have lots of good stuff that I still have in my house that I bought from him. He sold me my delicate etched crystal wine glasses that I have in my china cabinet and the vintage play kitchen furniture pieces that I bought before I even knew Brian.  Roland has had some old brass and crystal chandeliers in his shop that coordinate with some of my others. His prices are about 1/3 of what they sell for in antique store.  Luckily, I was able to pick up one that we will use in either our powder room or butler's pantry. I'll post a picture of it later.

Today Maribeth, John Thomas, Caroline and I spent almost three hours at the lighting and bath showroom. Below is a picture of Angela, our patient consultant, and me looking through lighting catalogues. I think I haven't been prepared for the many long decision making sessions. After the first hour and a half, I was being to get overwhelmed. Chandeliers, recessed lighting, kitchen faucets, bath faucets, toilets, outdoor lanterns...it was a lot to take in. Thankfully, Ferguson Lighting has a fountain Coke machine and I was able to perk up enough to get through the next hour. And also thankfully, they had a television to entertain the kids. 




Today the framers got started on the floor system for the house. Hopefully the floor joists and subfloor will be finished by this weekend and they will get to start the walls on Monday. I think that is when it will really start to feel like a house. The framing process should take about four weeks. So maybe by Labor Day we will really know what the house is going to look like.














No comments:

Post a Comment