Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Decisions, Decisions

Other than actually deciding to build a house, we're facing some the biggest decisions this week for the home build. There are a few choices for the house that are causing me lost sleep, eye twitching, and a constant gnawing sensation in the pit of my stomach.

From the beginning, I have worried about brick. Of all the choices you get to make for a custom home, brick is the most permanent. Other than painting over it, once you pick it, it's there--forever. Just ask my mother, who in 1972 chose a white brick and has regretted it almost every day since. I hope I'm still living in this house 40 years from now, and I hope I'm not hating the brick. Of course, if I do, I will paint it.  I really wanted painted brick to begin with. But on a limited budget, that was one $10,000 item we could do without.

So with the idea of a painted brick, we ordered some samples that could have a "mortar rub" applied, to give a somewhat similar look. I like houses that look like they have been painted, but with some of the paint worn off. But after seeing the sample wall done, we decided the house would look like it had been in a paintball fight- and lost. Here's the sample:


So, we will probably go with the bricks on the left and just a "messy" mortar joint. These bricks have a grayish texture on some of the bricks to make them look like moss is growing on them.  Unless, I can't sleep again tonight and then we may have to revisit the brick.

Last week, we had to pick windows. Who would have ever though that there would be so many choices of windows? Not only size and color, but also, the window pane pattern. There are probably 25-30 choices of window grids. It's not really something that you think that much about until you are instructed to choose one for your new house. And then you spend hours driving through neighborhoods scouting out the grid patterns in the houses.  It really just comes down to personal preference and style of house. Just on the four streets that compose our little neighborhood, you could find every type and color of window that is available. I made a decision and then 48 hours later after driving Brian around to specifically look at grid patterns, we changed our mind.  I think we're happy now though.

Next week, we have to make a decision about our front door. Solid wood -  mostly glass, part glass and part wood, six feet tall -  eight feet tall,  side lights - transoms. 

This morning, I spent two hours at Waverly Wood Works. I missed the non-descript driveway to the cabinet shop and ended up at the Waverly Post Office. I left there with directions and a recommendation from the post master. The cabinet shop is full of beautiful examples of cabinets. Doors panels, glass inserts, corbels, stain colors, drawer pulls...more choices than anyone could imagine.

We went room by room talking about the color, style and design of the cabinets. It was overwhelming. But I think if we can afford what we want to do, it will be beautiful.




Here's Maribeth with the cabinet samples.

No comments:

Post a Comment