Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Handprints and Footprints

One of the main reasons I wanted to write this blog, was for John Thomas and Caroline to be able to look back years from now and remember building the house. I've tried to take them to each stage of the home build so that they can learn about what it takes to build a house. But, I really want them to know that they are the main reason we decided to build a home and to build it in this neighborhood.

When my parents built a patio behind their fairly new house in the mid-70s, they had my footprints pressed in the concrete to commemorate the build and preserve how small my footprint was. I remember throughout my childhood checking out those prints.  So I knew that I would want to include this for my kids in some way.

I asked the kids if they would want to do their hands or their feet and John Thomas, of course, said "both!" So we settled for one of each for each of them.  Caroline started first, but in my excitement, I had her do it the wrong way. In order for them to be able to compare their prints through the years, they needed to be turned around. So these first ones of Caroline ended up being erased.

I commented to the concrete guy that I bet he didn't realize that he would be doing an arts and crafts project today when he came to work!  But he was great and really helped out with the kids so I could take pictures.  I asked him how many times a year he did something like this when he was working on a house.  He said only two or three times.  I was surprised that more people didn't want to do it.  If Brian had been there, I would have had all of us do it.




It took three tries to get John Thomas's footprint. He kept pressing his heel in too deep.



The concrete guy was so sweet-- he carried each of them over to the water hose and washed them off when they were done.


John Thomas, age 8,  July 24, 2012.

Caroline, age 5, July 24, 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment